“Behold how good and pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity.” Psalm 133:1
Men of the Church working together in Christian fellowship:
- Encouraging men to foster friendships within the Church for mutual support and growth in Christ,
- carrying His word abroad by organizing events engaging those in the local community,
- running fundraising events providing the means for financial support to needy organizations both locally and overseas,
- helping maintain and enhance the fabric of our Church.
The Men’s Club has over sixty participants. We meet at 6:00 PM on the second Tuesday of each month in the church hall where we enjoy a three-course dinner prepared by Club members (first rate cooks). Our meal is typically followed by a presentation from an invited speaker and a short business meeting addressing future event planning, projects and charitable donations.
For our summer meetings during July and August we host outdoor BBQ’s in the church garden to which wives and partners are invited. In early December we prepare a turkey Christmas dinner for members, wives and invited guests catering to over a hundred people. On occasion, special events are organized by Club members.
The major public events hosted by the Club are:
- Shrove Tuesday Pancake Supper,
- Chicken BBQ in mid-June,
- Salmon Bake in late-September,
- Hollyberry Fair, early December, organized jointly by a number of church groups.
We typically have about 200 people attend each of the first three events.
Each year through our outreach programs we raise about $6,000 that goes to help support:
- Our church; operating expenses and special projects.
- Local charities such as the South Surrey Food Bank, A Rocha, Camp Artaban and Christmas on the Peninsula.
- Charities working overseas like A.C.T.S., Youth for Christ, Compassion Canada and Michael House.
- World emergency relief through the PWRDF to the likes of Japan and the Horn of Africa in 2011.
Bring Your Talents
Not just work – fun and fellowship in the execution! Throughout the year there are numerous opportunities for members to display their talents: planning, organizing, gardening, helping in work parties tending the grounds, cooking, barbecuing, and painting and decorating. Larger construction projects like reconfiguring spaces for new use are also undertaken. New projects are ongoing.
Our most ambitious project has been the Journey of Christmas event that was conceived and built by Club members thirteen years ago. Here, over the course of fourteen evenings around Christmas, visitors to the church are guided through a path in the woods visiting nine theatres with tableaux and audio tracks that tell the story of the coming and early life of Jesus. Typically it receives over a thousand visitors each year. Refurbishment work and enhancements to this project continue on an annual basis.
Come join us and share in the good fellowship and fun!